Cool San Diego Property images

A few nice San Diego Property images I found:

San Diego, CA
San Diego Property
Image by Oggie Dog
airport sunset – San Diego International Airport (IATA: SAN, ICAO: KSAN, FAA LID: SAN), also referred to as Lindbergh Field, is a public airport located 3 mi (4.8 km) northwest of the central business district of San Diego, California and 20 mi (32 km) from the Mexico – United States border at Tijuana, Mexico. It is operated by the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority.

San Diego International is the busiest single-runway commercial service airport in the United States, and second in the world after London Gatwick, with approximately 600 departures and arrivals carrying 50,000 passengers each day, and a total of 18.3 million passengers in 2007. San Diego is the largest metropolitan area of the United States which does not serve as a hub nor secondary hub for any airline, however the airport is a focus city for Southwest Airlines, who is the largest operator.

The top five airlines in terms of market share for 2010 were Southwest Airlines (38.45%), United Airlines (17.05%), Delta Air Lines (10.73%), American Airlines (8.8%) and US Airways (5.94%).

The airport is located near the site of the old Ryan Airlines factory, but it is not the same as Dutch Flats, the Ryan airstrip where Charles Lindbergh flight tested the Spirit of St. Louis before his historic transatlantic flight. The site of Dutch Flats is on the other side of the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, in the Midway area, near the current intersection of Midway and Barnett avenues.

Inspired by Lindbergh’s historic flight and excited to have made the plane he flew, the city of San Diego passed a bond issue in 1928 for construction of a two-runway municipal airport to be operated by the city. Lindbergh himself encouraged the building of the airport and agreed to lend his name to it. The new airport, dedicated on August 16, 1928, was given the name San Diego Municipal Airport – Lindbergh Field, by which name it is still known. This naming occurred because San Diego was the city from which Lindbergh began the journey that would ultimately become the first solo transatlantic flight, in addition to being the place where his aircraft was designed, built, and tested, at Dutch Flats.

The airport was the first federally certified airfield to serve all aircraft types, including seaplanes. The original terminal was located on the northeastern side of the field, along Pacific Highway. The airport also served as a testing facility for several early U.S. sailplane designs, notably those by William Hawley Bowlus (superintendent of construction on the Spirit of St. Louis) who also operated the Bowlus Glider School at Lindbergh Field from 1929–1930. On June 1, 1930, a regular San Diego – Los Angeles airmail route was initiated. The airport gained ‘international airport’ status in 1934, and a United States Coast Guard Air Base located adjacent to the field was commissioned in April 1937. The Coast Guard’s fixed-wing aircraft made use of the runway at Lindbergh Field until the mid-1990s when the fixed-wing aircraft were retired.

World War II brought significant change to the airfield when the Army Air Corps took it over in 1942 to support the war effort. The infrastructure of the airport was improved to handle the heavy bombers being manufactured in the region during the war. This transformation, including an 8,750 ft (2,670 m) runway, made the airport "jet-ready’ long before jet passenger planes came into widespread service. After the war, commercial air service at Lindbergh Field expanded rapidly. Pacific Southwest Airlines established its headquarters in San Diego and inaugurated service at Lindbergh Field in 1949. In 1960 Lindbergh Field gained its first jet service, with American Airlines and United Airlines operating the Boeing 720 to Phoenix and San Francisco, respectively.

The original terminal was located on the north side of the airport and was used until the 1960s, by then air traffic in San Diego had increased considerably and new facilities were needed in a location on the airport where aircraft did not have to cross the runway to get to and/or from the gates. The current Terminal 1 was opened on the southern side of the airport property on March 5, 1967. It was not until July 11, 1979 that Terminal 2 was opened. A third terminal, dubbed the Commuter Terminal, opened on July 23, 1996. Terminal 2 was later expanded by 300,000 square feet (30,000 m2) in 1998, opening on January 7, 1998. In the 1990s, the official name of the airport became San Diego International Airport, but is still often referred to as Lindbergh Field by the local residents. As downtown San Diego developed, one of the airport’s two runways was closed. This 3,600 foot runway was rarely used and insufficent in length for commerical aircraft.

Originally funded, built and operated by the City of San Diego, then the San Diego Unified Port District, the airport is now operated by the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority.

San Diego, CA
San Diego Property
Image by Oggie Dog
Hillcrest is a neighborhood in San Diego, California northwest of Balboa Park and south of Mission Valley. It is known for its tolerance, diversity, and locally-owned businesses, including restaurants, cafés, bars, clubs, trendy thrift-stores, and other independent specialty stores. Hillcrest has a high population density, compared to many other neighborhoods in San Diego, and it has a large and active lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community.

Hillcrest is an older neighbourhood which has gone through gentrification. Many streets are lined with trees and there are many Craftsman homes and Mid-Century modern apartment buildings.

Initially, Hillcrest was a chaparral-covered mesa. Kumeyaay Indians inhabited numerous villages scattered throughout the San Diego region. Spanish colonization brought the first of twenty-nine California missions with the founding of the nearby San Diego Mission. Presidio Park in Mission Hills and Old Town just down the hill are a part of San Diego history.

In 1870, Mary Kearney obtained a deed from the city for the land that eventually became Hillcrest. In 1871 Arnold and D. Choate, two real estate developers, obtained that property. George Hill, a wealthy railroad tycoon, then purchased the land. Real estate development began in 1910 and the area was largely developed by 1920. During the 1920s and 1930s Hillcrest was considered a suburban shopping area for downtown San Diego.

In the 1910s, Hillcrest became one of the many San Diego neighbourhoods connected by the Class 1 streetcars and an extensive San Diego public transit system that was spurred by the Panama-California Exposition of 1915 and built by John D. Spreckels. These streetcars became a fixture of this neighborhood until their retirement in 1939.

In 1940 the "HILLCREST" lighted sign at the intersection of University and Fifth Avenue was first erected, donated by the Hillcrest Women’s Association, a group of local female shopkeepers. After falling into disrepair, it was taken down and rebuilt in 1984. After World War II, Hillcrest was left with an aging infrastructure and population.

During the 1970s gays and lesbians began to establish residences, businesses, and organizations in Hillcrest.

1974: Protesting the city’s refusal of a parade permit, 200 gays and lesbians marched through the streets of downtown for the first time.

1975: The first city-permitted gay pride parade was held.

1980: The Center for Social Services, founded in Golden Hill in 1973 — now called the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Center, and generally known as "the Center" moved to Hillcrest.

1984: The Hillcrest Business Association, a business improvement district, was formed.

1985: The Hillcrest Business Association hosted the first CityFest.

1994: A new Vermont Street pedestrian bridge was completed. The span, featuring public art, cost .2 million.

2001: Mercy Gardens — formerly the Sisters of Mercy Convent, which housed nuns from 1926 -1990, was remodeled for use by the HIV-positive community.

On August 2, 2007, a 100th birthday cake was served to the public, marking Hillcrest’s first one hundred years; there were Hillcrest Centennial events throughout the year.

2007: The Hillcrest Town Council was formed to give residents a voice.

Tags: , , ,

Category : Blog

Send to Friend

Email Agent

SEO Powered By SEOPressor